The Guelph and District Labour Council will hold its annual Labour Day Picnic tomorrow.
- When: September 3, 2018
- Where: Riverside Park
- Time: Noon until 3:00 PM
- Food: Hotdogs, Samosas, Corn on the Cob and Beverages, All food items are $1 each
There will be music, face painting, a childen’s area with crafts and a play bus plus the train and carousel will be open and rides will be free.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Bill 148’s clause-by-clause reading is over, but there’s still time to press for changes. In fact, there’s no better time to speak to your MPP about what workers need!
Three Things You Can Do Right Now
- Call your MPP: Call your MPP and tell them what changes we want by clicking on www.makeitfair.ca/call. A script will appear for you to read. Check out the script beforehand here. We will be setting up some meetings with key MPPs that influence the direction of the bill. If you are interested in meeting with your MPP, please contact Melisa Bayon, Director of Political Action and Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend a Labour Day event in your community! The Make It Fair and $15 and Fairness campaigns will have a presence in many Labour Day events across the province. We need to make sure that people are talking about what’s at stake with Bill 148. Help volunteer at a table and spread the decent work message! Contact Melisa Bayon at email@example.com to know where you can help in your community. Click here for a Labour Day pamphlet and click here for a list of Labour Day events in Ontario!
- Letters to the editor: It’s go time. There are many articles coming out both in favour of the $15 minimum wage and decent work legislation but also against it. The business lobby is making sure they’re heard. We need to be responding to as many of these articles as we can because we are the majority! If you are interested in writing a letter to the editor, let us know! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ontarians need decent work now! Our government can make needed amendments to Bill 148.
Help keep our message strong by contacting your MPP by email or phone. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to get it right when it comes to labour and employment laws in this province. We need changes now – no delays, exceptions, or exemptions to a $15 minimum wage.
Contact Your MPP Today!
You can use the makeitfair.ca site to EMAIL YOUR MPP by clicking here, or you can PHONE THEM by clicking here.
Teamsters Local Union 419 ground crew workers voted 98 per cent against the contract they were offered by Swissport. They’re still on strike and they need your support! These workers know that their fight is an important one for all workers in Ontario. They’re standing up for all of us. Ninety-five per cent of workers voted to strike because they face life-threatening workplace accidents and a deep lack of respect. These workers are standing for all of the things we are fighting for under the Changing Workplaces Review including: fair scheduling, eliminating temp agencies, an end to replacement workers, and fair wages!
Sign up for action alerts from these striking workers here.
Join us on Labour Day!
For the annual Labour Day Picnic, sponsored by the Guelph and District Labour Council!
It’s a wonderful day for the whole family with food, entertainment, information fair and fun for the kids too.
Enjoy hot dogs, corn and samosa for just a buck a piece ($1.00 per item)
Entertainment will be provided by Scotty Hertz, Jennis and Laura Bird and Robert Reid.
When and Where?
- Monday, September 04, 2017
- 12 Noon to 3PM
- Riverside Park in Guelph, ON, Canada